The GCHQ Puzzle Book (2016)
Clues to the Starter Puzzles
1. Think of the publisher
2. Think films
3. What star sign are you?
4. What letters do the answers have in common?
5. The first word is MOSES
6. Which countries are these the capitals of?
7. Read the answers backwards and forwards
8. Have you got double vision?
9. i. Think length; ii. Think Bungle, Dorothy or Noah; iii. It’s all in the name
10. Think Roman synonyms
11. The answers are very similar
12. Look for words which could follow those in the question
13. Where would you START with this wine?
14. Look in the larder
15. Which planet is this German Count on?
16. Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more
17. Think in colour
18. Look within the country names
19. Suit you Sir
20. When in Rome
21. Numbers refer to positions of letters
22. After 39 steps …
23. Speak them out loud and go with the flow
24. One of the pairs is 8. Beckham and 12. Peckham
25. Try adding a letter to sing a good carol
26. Try jumbling the letters to get some familiar friends
27. Convert the letters to numbers
28. Convert the numbers to letters – and look at neighbouring letters
29. Can you see the wood for the trees?
30. Think phonetics (see Appendix)
31. (a) Think size; (b) Think team; (c) Think letters
32. These are initial letters of words in book titles
33. Think snooker
34. SOME questions don’t need clues
35. The fourth letter is O
36. Look at the clock
37. Try waving a wand over the question
38. You don’t have to be able to reed music to answer this question
39. Look within the words
40. Changing a NAME is MEAN
41. Read the initial letters and follow the instruction
42. Just kick this question around
43. Try browsing the internet
44. Look at the vowels
45. The first answer is EYE – hacknEYEd
46. Question TIME
47. All the questions, and the title, are anagrams
48. Look for 2 letter synonyms
49. Look at the appendix
50. Try writing the numbers as words
51. Look for our most famous dramatist
52. Think phonetics (see Appendix)
53. Look for a shapely answer
54. Gotta catch ’em all
55. Try adding words, and if that doesn’t help, ask your parents
56. Think board game
57. What words might follow the words in the question?
58. Only the middle letters are the compass points
59. Don’t think in English
60. Are you primed for this one?
61. THIS maze may lead you down the wrong paths
62. Think of a boy band
63. Who travels through time?
64. Think chess
65. Try turning the triangle to find the quotation
66. Think in colour
67. What groups do the words belong to?
68. What LINKS?